Baccarat comes in many different flavors. In Chemin De Fer, players gamble amongst themselves without interference from the house, in Mini Baccarat players place their bets and the dealer plays out the hand from there, but Baccarat En Banque is different from all other forms of Baccarat.
Baccarat En Banque is the most combative form of Baccarat played. You can call “Banco” in a game like Chemin De Fer and bust the Banker if you want. If you’re successful, the shoe moves to the next player who then becomes the new Banker. Everyone gets the chance to be Banker. That game sounds fair doesn’t it?
Baccarat En Banque doesn’t let everyone have a turn to be the Banker. If you want to be the Banker in Baccarat En Banque, you’ve got to take the position from the current Banker. The way you take the Banker position it to call “Banco” and cover the Banker’s bet. If you win, you win the bank and the right to be the Banker until someone busts your bank.
The odds in Baccarat En Banque are also slightly different than other forms of Baccarat. This is because Baccarat En Banque is played with only three decks. The fewer decks in the shoe, the greater the edge the Banker has over the Player.
Here’s how Baccarat En Banque is played:
- The Croupier deals a Player hand to each side of the table and the Banker hand in front of the Banker.
- Only the Banker may play the Banker’s hand. The other players must play the Player hand on their side of the table or they may place their bet on both hands.
- Player’s may bet up to the amount in the Bank. Once that amount is met, no other players can bet.
- A player may challenge the Banker by calling “Banco” and matching the Banker’s bet. If the Player wins, they become the Banker.
- If a Player fails to beat the Banker after calling “Banco” three times, they can no longer call “Banco.”
- Drawing rules can be determined by the table, but usually follow rules similar to Chemin De Fer. These rules state:
- If the Player is dealt an 8 or 9, the hand stops.
- If the Player’s hand is 4 or below, the Player must draw a card.
- If the Player’s hand is 6 or 7, the Player must stand.
- If the Player’s hand is a 5, he has the option of drawing or standing.
- The Banker may draw or stand as they wish.
Baccarat En Banque comes in different variants. In some variants, the casino always plays the role of the Banker and players are only allowed to play one or both of the Player’s hands. Make sure you find out what the house’s rules are before you decide to sit down at a table as rules can vary greatly from one casino to the next.